Tuesday 17 February 2015

London - Brick Lane

 
 

Did a 20 minute walk from the apartment in Whitechapel to the 'Brick Lane' markets.
http://www.visitbricklane.org/
Was pretty excited when we got there with the choice of food. Buildings full of food stalls and the street lined with more food, the choices were overwhelming(mostly curries) and all of them very good.
Lots of stall holders handing out samples and making lots of noise. We avoided the famous Jewish 'Bagel' shop('Beigel Bake') and it's 40 minute queue down the street and around the corner! Ended up with some yummy curry and cake and chocolate (as always). Kids bought a massive meringue - seems to be a lot of them around.
Boy, there were a lot of people (you forget how squashed everything gets in London). Lots of stalls selling lots of things - heaps of vintage clothing, a lot of clothing that was way too 'odd' for me(I feel totally boring), heaps of art and jewellery. Very surprised at how 'urban cool' Brick Market is. People dressed very fashionably - I felt far too basic in my mac-pac down jacket and Chris in his gortex one. The graffiti was amazing - I had no idea about it - lots of people photographing it(me included). The kids got to enjoy some street performance too.




 

 




 



I then left Chris and the kids and walked to Liverpool Street via 'Spitalfields' market - great market too, lots of stalls within a very large open iron building. I was happy to pay my 30pence to use the loos at Liverpool St station(because there is nowhere else too find them- something that keeps catching us out with the kids). I then tubed to Covent Garden for a reminiscent stroll around it, taking in Jubilee Market and listening to the street performances and orchestral performances - once again amongst the huge numbers of people. I still need to readjust to the lack of personnel body space - quickly reminded that 50+ people can squash into a covent garden lift(and happily sneeze over everyone - no one seems to mind) and that people don't stop talking dribble even when you are  squashed hard against them( I guess that was me 20 years ago) - trying to develop my eye contact avoidance on the tube too.
Bought a dress worth 250gbp (couldn't possibly have ever been worth that) for 25gbp in txmax - great fun rummaging through the racks there - lots of kids losing patience with their mums in that shop!(for once not mine).

2 comments:

  1. LOved the Photo's of you all at the markets [brick lane] you all would have enjoyed looking at and eating the food.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well done you on the huge discount you got your new dress at. I hope you told Chris the money you saved! My Mum says, "a bargain is only a bargain if you need it (she's an accountant, can you tell?)" hee hee.

    I'm loving hearing all about your adventures and what it's actually like. I've just remembered how after travelling on the tube you'd blow your nose at the end of the day and you'd have a sooty hanky! Yuck. lol

    ReplyDelete